Photos from the Return of the Red Tails Event with Original Members of the Tuskegee Airmen
- A P-51 Mustang restored to look like one the Tuskegee Airmen would have flown (including the red tail!) did a fly-over during the event.
- Chris Gabbers, a WWII reenactor, poses with a copy of Yank magazine
- A military jeep on display
- Examples of a WWII soldier's personal items
- An original issue of LIFE magazine from March 1942 with an article about the charter members of the Air Force's 99th Pursuit Squadron based near Tuskegee Alabama. Read the article here: http://bit.ly/TNu5Ey
- WWII camp scene outside Wings of Eagles Discovery Center for Return of the Red Tails
- A young WWII reenactor shows some items a soldier may have had in his camp
- Noah Belanger was the 3rd place winner in the Return of the Red Tails essay contest.
- Members of the Chemung-Schuyler Cadet Squadron of the Civil Air Patrol stand guard to allow the Airmen to pass through the crowd
- The Tuskegee Airmen arrive at Wings of Eagles Discovery Center
- The Tuskegee Airmen stood up and fought for racial equality
- Guests at the event were able to meet and get autographs with members of the Tuskegee Airmen
- Guests had the opportunity to meet and have autographs signed by members of the Tuskegee Airmen
- Rich Green, a docent at Wings of Eagles Discovery Center, is seen here on the right with a member of the motorcycle escort for the Airmen
- A special exhibit showcasing the history of the Tuskegee Airmen was on display for the event
- It was an honor to have the Chemung-Schuyler Cadet Squadron of the Civil Air Patrol mount the colors for the Return of the Red Tails Grand Gala
- The honored guests seated for the Grand Gala festivities
- One of the Return of the Red Tails event organizers, Michael A. Joseph (right), tells the story of Captain Roscoe Brown, Jr. (center) & Lt. Bill Strapko (left) meeting for the first time since Brown's fighter group escorted Strapko's bombing group in 1945 during WWII.
On Saturday, May 24, 2014, Wings of Eagles Discovery Center was proud to host the Return of the Red Tails event that featured a legendary group of African Americans, the Tuskegee Airmen. Nine members of the Airmen were able to attend including Dr. Roscoe C. Brown, a Tuskegee Airman and Red Tail Squadron commander, who was the gala’s keynote speaker.
More photos from the day’s activities can be seen at pressconnects.com
Open to the public:
Tuesday - Saturday
11:00 AM to 3:00 PM
SUMMER HOURS START TUESDAY MAY, 30th!
Summer Hours: We will be open to the public Tuesday - Saturday from 10 AM to 4 PM
Memorial Day Weekend Hours:
OPEN: Saturday, May 27
CLOSED: Sunday, May 28 and Monday, May 29
4th of July Holiday Hours:
OPEN: Saturday, July 1
CLOSED: Sunday, July 2 through Tuesday, July 4
339 Daniel Zenker Drive
Horseheads, NY 14845
Tour our 25,000 sq ft hangar with aircraft on display inside and outside. Experience our collection through static displays, self guided mobile tours and flight simulators. Take home a momento from our Gift Shop to remember your visit and grab a bite to eat at the Wings Cafe. ‹more›