The V-1710-63 was one of Allison’s “E” series engines and was developed specifically for use in the Bell P-39 Airacobra and P-63 Kingcobra fighters. The V-1710 was the first engine designed to use ethylene glycol, instead of water, for cooling. The U.S. Army retained its interest in the V-1710, and the engine appeared in numerous varieties in several World War II fighters. Among these were the P-38 Lightning, P-39 Airacobra, P-40 Warhawk and early P-51 Mustang models. Altogether, over 47,000 engines of all subtypes were built.
Daniel McCue of York, Maine donated this engine to the Discovery Center in October 1998.